Thursday, January 5, 2012

Makeup Expiration Dates

I ashamed to admit I have makeup in my drawer from 8 years ago and while I want to throw it away because it's old, I also don't want to because they're not even close to being used! 

In my defense, this makeup is mostly eyeshadow, but still.

Everything has an expiration date and so does makeup! Check out this video from Good Housekeeping that talks about makeup expiration (specifically mascara and sunscreen):


Below are a list of beauty products, how long they last, and a little tidbit on why you shouldn't let them expire:

Mascara: 3 months
Liquid eyeliners: 3months
Pencil Eyeliners: 2 years
Cream Eye Shadows: 6 months
Powder Eye Shadows: 2 years

Lipstick: 2 years
Lipgloss: 2 years
Lipliner: 2 years (or more)

Liquid Face Makeup: 6 months
Face Powder: 2 years

Nail Polish: 1-2 years
Sunscreen: 6 months
Hair Products: 1 year
Perfume: 2 years (but can be longer)

Skin Care:"Acne creams and other over-the-counter products that contain drugs are FDA regulated and usually carry expiration dates. But cosmeceuticals (products claiming to have anti-aging and skin-changing benefits) are not regulated, and once they’ve been used, they shouldn’t be kept for more than six months — or, if they’re in pump bottles, a year"


I can only speak for myself when I say that I definitely don't follow all these little guidelines. But rest assured I am going to be more cautious of anything that goes near my eyes.

Information Source: Here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment